What is M.A.D.? The Beginning of the Journey A Visit to Parliament Heading out into the Community Beginning the Project

Sunday 22 June 2014

“On Dreams of Change”

A Poem on Dreams and Change

Oftentimes artists become a vital part of the movement for change and essential to strides towards Making a Difference. Guyanese poetry legend Martin Carter was one such pioneer who in addition to writing beautiful words, also wrote evocative and inspirational words which inspired his readers. His notable poem “Looking At Your Hands” provides some rousing words for consideration.

No!
I will not still my voice!
I have
too much to claim—
if you see me
looking at books
or coming to your house
or walking in the sun
know that I look for fire!

I have learnt
from books dear friend
of men dreaming and living
and hungering in a room without a light
who could not die since death was far too poor
who did not sleep to dream, but dreamed to change
the world.

And so
if you see me
looking at your hands
listening when you speak
marching in your ranks
you must know
I do not sleep to dream, but dream to change
the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment